Joanna is a beautiful name that has many variations including Joan and Johannah. It is a name that receives its roots from the ancient days of the Biblical New Testament, but it is still used for girls today. The most notable individual with the name is actress Joanna Cassidy.
Meaning of the name Joanna:
English: God is gracious
Hebrew: God is gracious
Origin of the name Joanna:
Joanna is the English version of the Latin baby name Iohanna. This name originates from the Greek name Ioanna, who was a character in the New Testament. It was the female form of the name John in the New Testament, but Ioanna was a follower of Jesus who eventually became a Saint. The English version only became popular during the nineteenth century.
Symbolism of the name Joanna:
The baby name Joanna follows the same meaning as the Greek name Ioanna. It has a Biblical meaning of “God is gracious” as Ioanna was a follower of Christ and literally walked with Him according to the New Testament.
Style of the name Joanna:
Gender of the name Joanna:
The baby name Joanna is used for females.
Pronunciation of the name Joanna:
Number of syllables in the name Joanna:
Emotion evoked from the name Joanna:
Joanna is a wholesome name that has almost a southern or country feel to it. It does also have a vintage feeling.
Alternative spellings for the name Joanna:
Nicknames for the name Joanna:
Popularity of the name Joanna:
Since the year 1900, the baby name Joanna has only been in the top 100 for two years, from 1984 to 1985. It reached number 88 in 1984. The name was on the top 200 list, however, from 1972 to 1995. As of 2020, Joanna is number 258 for girls.
Related names for the name Joanna:
Great middle names for Joanna and their meanings:
- Ruth (friend)
- Paige (helper)
- Faith (complete trust, devotion)
- Mae (mother, greater)
- Claire (clear)
- Elise (God's promise)
- Kennedy (helmeted chief)
- Kelly (warrior)
Famous people with the name Joanna:
- Joanna Cassidy (actress, “Under Fire”)
- Joanna Kerns (actress, “Growing Pains”)
- Joanna Russ (novelist, “The Female Man”)
- Joanna Lumley (actress, “Absolutely Fabulous”)
- Joanna Newsom (singer, “Have One on Me”)
- Joanna Gaines (reality TV star, “Fixer Upper”)
- Joanna Krupa (professional model)
Joannas in popular culture:
- Joanna Dark (character in “Perfect Dark” video game)
- Joanna Francesca (main character in “Joanna Francesca”)
- Joanna Lannister (character in “Game of Thrones”)
- Joanna Wallace (character in “Two for the Road”)
- Joanna Reed (character in “Last Night”)
- Joanna McCoy (character on “Star Trek”)