Ares is a popular name in Greek culture because it originates from mythological legends. He was the god of war, but titles based on mythology are more popular in modern times. As of 2020, Ares is a top 600 option.
Meaning of the name Ares:
Greek: bane, ruin, male
Origin of the name Ares:
Ares has a couple of different origins when considering ancient Greek culture. It could come from two different words, “are” and “arsen.” Ares originated in Mycenaean mythology, written as A-re. Ares was the god of war and the son of Zeus and Hera. It spread to the English-speaking world in the past couple of centuries.
Symbolism of the name Ares:
The baby name Ares can come from two different Greek words. First, it could be a play on the word “are,” which translates to “bane” or “ruin.” Ares could also originate from “arsen,” which means “male.”
Style of the name Ares:
Gender of the name Ares:
Ares is a classical name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Ares:
a-REHS or EHR-eez
Number of syllables in the name Ares:
Emotion evoked from the name Ares:
Ares is a strong and noble baby name. It is refined yet simple.
Alternative spellings for the name Ares:
Nicknames for the name Ares:
Popularity of the name Ares:
Ares originated as a top 1,000 baby name for the first time in 2013 at rank 896. As of 2020, it remains a top 600 option at number 593. Ares ranked the highest so far in 2018 at rank 563.
Related names for the name Ares:
Great middle names for Ares and their meanings:
- Vincent (to conquer, conqueror)
- Lucius (light, to shine)
- Xavier (new house, bright, splendid)
- Maddox (fortunate, son of Madoc)
- Ivor (lord, warrior)
- Xander (defender of man)
- Darion (gift)
- Christos (servant of Christ)
Famous people with the name Ares:
- Ares Tavolazzi (jazz bassist)
- Ares (stage name of Ronny Hovland from the band Aeternus)
- Ares (ring name of pro wrestler Marco Jaggi)
- Ares (Greek resistance leader in World War 2)
Ares's in popular culture:
- Ares (Greek god of war)
- Ares (character from “Gregor the Overlander” series)
- Aresfrom “Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War” video game)