Xander is a Greek name meaning “defending man” and is the diminutive of the name Alexander. Xander is a modern name that jumped to the top 250 baby boy names in 2003. Xander is a unique alternative to its classic counterpart.
Meaning of the name Xander:
Greek: defending man
Origin of the name Xander:
Xander is a Greek baby name meaning “defending man”. Xander is the diminutive of the name Alexander.
Symbolism of the name Xander:
With a meaning like “defending man” symbolism of the valiant knight qith sword and shield in hand is sure to follow.
Style of the name Xander:
Gender of the name Xander:
Xander is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Xander:
ZAN-dər (English), SAN-dər (Dutch), KSAN-dər (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Xander:
Emotion evoked from the name Xander:
Xander evokes feelings of uniqueness and creativity.
Alternative spellings for the name Xander:
Nicknames for the name Xander:
Popularity of the name Xander:
According to the Social Security Administration, Xander is a boy’s name that first appeared in the top 1000 names in 1999. It peaked at #164 in 2017.
Related names for the name Xander:
Great middle names for the name Xander and their meanings:
- Flynn (son of the red-haired one)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Miles (soldier or merciful)
- Elijah (Yahweh is God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Sebastian (person from ancient city of Sebastia)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- August (great, magnificent)
Famous people with the name Xander:
- Xander Corvus (American actor)
- Xander Theodore Shanxi Kostroma (Welsh fashion designer)
- Xander Parish (English ballet dancer)
- Xander Rawlins (British singer-songwriter)
- Xander Yan Bogaerts (Aruban baseball player)
Xanders in popular culture:
- Xander Harris (television, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”)
- Xander Carrow (literature, Matched trilogy by Ally Condie)
- Xander (video game, “Fire Emblem: Fates”)
- Xander Hale (Addicted Series)
- Xander Cage (film, Vin Diesel’s xXx franchise)