Christal is a likeable baby name for girls. Known for its compelling origins in the ancient world, Christal is a classical alternative to modern favorites like Chanel and Chantal. In popular culture, Christal is the main character of the Whittenbury College series, and Christal Van Alen is also a main character in the Van Alen Sisters series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Christal:
Middle English, Greek: Colorless glass, ice, gemstone
Origin of the name Christal:
Christal is a variation of the name Cristal or Chrystal. The name derives from the Middle English term cristal (meaning “colorless glass”or “gemstone”). This word entered English via the Medieval Latin term cristallum (or crystallum). The name ultimately derives from the Greek word κρύσταλλος (or krýstallos). In the ancient world, this word meant “ice,” and it began to refer to rock crystals shortly thereafter.
Less commonly, Christal is also an elaboration of the name Christa. This name derives from the Latin word Christianus and means “follower of Christ” or “Christian.”
Symbolism of the name Christal:
Christal is an alternative spelling of Cristal (meaning “colorless glass,” “ice,” or “gemstone”). In the ancient world, the symbol of this term was the diamond.
Style of the name Christal:
Gender of the name Christal:
Christal is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Christal:
Number of syllables in the name Christal:
Emotion evoked from the name Christal:
The name Christal evokes feelings of clarity and charisma.
Alternative spellings for the name Christal:
Nicknames for the name Christal:
Popularity of the name Christal:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Christal was the 8,910th most popular baby name for girls in 2021.
Related names for the name Christal:
Great middle names for Christal and their meanings:
- Angela (heavenly messenger, celestial being)
- Blanche (fair, white)
- Daphne (laurel tree)
- Darcy (dark-haired, person from d'Arcy)
- Gracelyn (generous lake)
- Ivy (evergreen climbing vine)
- Kaylee (pure meadow)
- Milena (gracious, pleasant, dear)
- Priscilla (ancient, venerable)
- Ruby (red gemstone, precious jewel)
- Sage (wise one, prophet, aromatic spice)
- Tegan (poet, darling, beloved, pretty)
Famous people with the name Christal:
- Christal Brown (dancer and choreographer)
- Christal Cornick (bodybuilder)
- Christal Chacon (stuntwoman)
- Christal Marie Deloney (actress)
- Christal Handy (actress)
- Christal Henry (writer)
- Christal Young (journalist)
Christal in popular culture:
- Christal (character in the Whittenbury College series by Alice Chesterton)
- Christal Van Alen (main character in the Van Alen Sisters series by Meagan McKinney)