Coen is a popular international baby name for boys. Considered a classic in both Dutch and Jewish cultures, Coen has undergone a revival as a top baby name of the 21st century. Coen is the namesake of several landmarks in the Netherlands, and it is also the name of a main character in the Witcher series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Coen:
Dutch, German: Bold counsel
Indigenous Australian: Thunder
Origin of the name Coen:
Coen is a given name with three possible origins. Foremost, Coen is a short form of the Dutch name Coenraad. This name derives from the Germanic elements kuoni (meaning “brave”) and rad (meaning “counsel”). The common Dutch pronunciation is the one-syllable “KOON.” Alternatively, Coen is a variation of the Jewish surname Cohen. This name derives from the Hebrew word kōhēn (meaning “priest”). While many European Jews pronounce the name in one syllable (as reflected in the surname variation Cohn), some use the two-syllable pronunciation of “KOH-ən.” Finally, Coen can also derive from the Indigenous Australian word coen (meaning “thunder”).
Symbolism of the name Coen:
Coen is a contracted form of the Dutch name Coenraad (meaning “bold counsel”). Historically, one of the most famous bearers of the name was Coen Cuser. This Coen was a 14th century knight and the founder of an orphanage for the poor. Symbols of Coen include the knight's cross and the golden lion.
Style of the name Coen:
Gender of the name Coen:
Coen is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Coen:
Number of syllables in the name Coen:
Emotion evoked from the name Coen:
The name Coen evokes feelings of courteousness and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Coen:
Nicknames for the name Coen:
Popularity of the name Coen:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Coen was the 939th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Coen:
Great middle names for Coen and their meanings:
- Aurick (protective ruler, noble leader)
- Brett (person from Brittany)
- Clifton (cliff settlement)
- Emmett (whole, universal, truth)
- Henley (high meadow)
- Kane (warrior, fighter, golden)
- Maverick (independent, nonconformist)
- Patton (nobleman, patrician)
- Troy (foot soldier)
- Vernon (alder tree grove)
Famous people with the name Coen:
- Coen van Vrijberghe de Coningh (actor)
- Coen Henrik Dillen (footballer)
- Coen Flink (actor)
- Coen Christian Gortemaker (footballer)
- Coen de Koning (speed skater)
- Coen van Oven (painter)
- Coen Teulings (economist)
- Coen Verbraak (television producer)
- Coen Zuidema (born chess player)
Coen in popular culture:
- Coen (main character in the Witcher series)
- Coen River (waterway in Queensland, Australia)
- Coen Tunnel (motorway in Amsterdam, Netherlands)