Devion is an energetic modern baby name. Inventive and inspiring, this name has origins that span from Northern Europe to Africa. Devion is the name of a planetary moon in the Guardians of Evion series, and Devion is also the name of a famous community in South Africa. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Devion:
Old French: Divine, heavenly
Celtic: Deep valley dweller
Origin of the name Devion:
Devion is an elaboration of the names Devin or Devon. Many etymologists believe that Devion borrows from the English surname version of Devin. This surname derives from the Old French word devin (meaning “divine”). Further support for this theory is that Devion may also reflect influence from the classic name Dion (meaning “follower of Dionysus” or “child of heaven”). Alternatively, Devion may derive from the Celtic name Devon. This name derives from the devnent (meaning “deep valley dweller”). One can see this influence in place names throughout South Africa. Some etymologists believe that Dutch settlers used the word to demarcate lowlands and valleys.
Symbolism of the name Devion:
Devion derives from the names Devin and Devon. One source of the English surname Devin is the Old French world devin (meaning “divine”). The French symbol of divinity is the fleur-de-lis.
Style of the name Devion:
Gender of the name Devion:
Devion is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Devion:
Number of syllables in the name Devion:
Emotion evoked from the name Devion:
The name Devion evokes feelings of depth and determination.
Alternative spellings for the name Devion:
Nicknames for the name Devion:
Popularity of the name Devion:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Devion was the 5,181st most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Devion:
Great middle names for Devion and their meanings:
- Amadeus (love of God)
- Bruno (brown)
- Charlie (free man, petite, strong, virile)
- Elisha (my God is salvation)
- Hezekiah (God is my strength)
- Jason (healer)
- Jerome (holy name, sacred name)
- Lamar (pool, water, sea)
- Myron (fragrant oil, cologne)
- Rashad (wisdom, good judgment, good sense)
- Roderick (famous ruler)
- Santana (holy, gracious saint)
- Warner (army guard)
Famous people with the name Devion:
- Devion Andrez Coleman (adoptive son of boxer Floyd Mayweather)
- Devion Deshaun Doyle (singer)
- Devion Yvonne Gibson (writer)
- Devion Donnie Harris (actor)
- Devion Johnson (actor)
- Devion Ross (actor)
- Devion Sheppard (football player)
- Devion Smith (film director)
Devion in popular culture:
- Devion (planetary moon in the Guardians of Evion series by Evelinn Enoksen)
- Devion View (townhouse community in Roodepoort, South Africa)