Gregorio is an Italian and Spanish boy’s name that means “vigilant, watchman”. Gregorio comes from the English name Gregory but it never took off outside of Italian and Latino communities. Gregorio is still an interesting alternative to names like Antonio and Mateo.
Meaning of the name Gregorio:
Italian, Spanish: vigilant, watchman
Origin of the name Gregorio:
Gregorio is an Italian and Spanish boy’s name that means “vigilant, watchman” and is a variant of the English name Gregory.
Symbolism of the name Gregorio:
Gregorio means “watchman” and refers to the occupation of a city guard or other type of non-military peacekeeping officer. Watchmen have existed as long as humans have formed communities and it is one of the oldest occupations in the world.
Style of the name Gregorio:
Gender of the name Gregorio:
Gregorio is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Gregorio:
greh-GO-ryo (Italian), greh-GHO-ryo (Spanish)
Number of syllables in the name Gregorio:
Emotion evoked from the name Gregorio:
Gregorio evokes feelings of diligence and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Gregorio:
Nicknames for the name Gregorio:
Popularity of the name Gregorio:
According to the Social Security Administration, Gregorio was a popular name between 1900 and 1998. Gregorio peaked at #583 in 1929 and it has not been on the list of top 1000 names since 1998.
Related names for the name Gregorio:
Great middle names for the name Gregorio and their meanings:
- Orion (Greek mythology hunter and constellation)
- Ronan (little seal)
- Max (greatest)
- James (supplanter)
- Teo (gift of God)
- Levi (joined, attached)
- Julio (youthful or sky father)
- Mateo (gift of God)
- Nico (people of victory)
- Micah (who is like the Lord)
Famous people with the name Gregorio:
- Gregorio Ballesteros Honasan (Filipino politician and revolutionary)
- Gregorio Hilario del Pilar (Filipino revolutionary general)
- Gregorio Dati (Italian Renaissance diarist)
- Gregorio Paltrinieri (Italian swimmer)
- Gregorio Ricci Curbastro (Italian mathematician)
Gregorio in popular culture:
- Gregorio Cortez Sr. (film, “Spy Kids” series)
- Gregorio “Juni” Cortez Jr. (film, “Spy Kids” series)
- Tammy Gregorio (television, “NCIS: New Orleans”)