Jon can be a short form of the name John or a nickname for Jonathan. It's been popular in the United States since the 1920s, though it's not quite as beloved as it was during the early 20th century. It's also a popular French and Nordic spelling. Jon makes a nice middle name, but as a given name, we like the way it sounds paired with classics like Thomas, Michael, Alexander, and Theodore.
Meaning of the name Jon:
Hebrew: God is gracious or graced by God
Origin of the name Jon:
Jon is an alternative to the biblical Hebrew name John, which means “God is gracious.” In the New Testament of the Bible, John was the youngest of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus.
Jon is also short for Jonathan, which is also a name found in the Old Testament of the Bible. He's the son of King Saul.
Symbolism of the name Jon:
Because of its meaning and place in the Bible, Jon is most likely a symbolic name to parents of the Christian faith.
Style of the name Jon:
Gender of the name Jon:
Jon is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jon:
Number of syllables in the name Jon:
Emotion evoked from the name Jon:
The baby name Jon evokes images of someone who is quiet yet industrious.
Alternative spellings for the name Jon:
Nicknames for the name Jon:
Popularity of the name Jon:
According to the Social Security Administration, Jon has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States since 1920. During the 1960s and 1970s, it even broke into the top 100. In 2020, it ranked at number 812.
Related names for the name Jon:
Great middle names for Jon and their meanings:
- Thomas (twin)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Tyler (tile worker)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Charles (free man)
- Louis (famous warrior)
- Everett (brave as a wild board)
Famous people with the name Jon:
- Jon(singer and member of the band New Kids on the Block)
- Jon Anderson (musician, singer, and member of the band Yes)
- H. Jon Benjamin (actor, producer, comedian, and writer)
- Jon Voight (actor)
- Jon Politio (actor)
Jons in popular culture:
- Jon Arbuckle (Garfield's owner in the comic strip “Garfield”)
- Jon (character from the web sieres “Eddsworld”)
- Jon Snow (character on the TV show “Game of Thrones”)
- Jon Cassidy (character on the TV show “Dino Ranch”)
- Jon Kent (character from the DC Comics universe)