Kyra is a girl’s baby name that has been popular since the late 1960’s. Kyra “throne” from Persian and “black” from Irish. Kyra may have fallen in popularity in the last decade but it remains a viable spelling variant of the more popular Kira.
Meaning of the name Kyra:
Origin of the name Kyra:
Kyra is a girl’s baby name of Persian origin that means “throne”. Kyra can also be traced back to Irish girl’s name Ciara which means “black”.
Symbolism of the name Kyra:
Black is the color of rebirth, night, darkness, and despair but also strength and independence. A throne is the ultimate symbol of royal power and often used as a simple term for all that means.
Style of the name Kyra:
Gender of the name Kyra:
Kyra is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kyra:
KEER-ə (Irish), KEER-ə, KIE-rə (Persian)
Number of syllables in the name Kyra:
Emotion evoked from the name Kyra:
Kyra evokes feelings of refinement and class.
Alternative spellings for the name Kyra:
Nicknames for the name Kyra:
Popularity of the name Kyra:
According to the Social Security Administration, Kyra is a popular baby girl’s name that first appeared in the top 1000 names in the late 1960’s. Kyra was in the top 200 names a few times in the 90’s and mid 00’s and has fallen in popularity since then.
Related names for the name Kyra:
Great middle names for the name Kyra and their meanings:
- Hart (stag)
- Elsie (pledged to God)
- Millie (gentle strength, strong in work)
- Edie (prosperous in war)
- Birdie (bird)
- Clementine (mild, merciful)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Violet (purple)
- Indigo (blue-purple, India’s dye)
- Luna (moon)
Famous people with the name Kyra:
- Kyra Minturn Sedgwick (American actress)
- Kyra Phillips (American reporter)
- Kyra Zagorsky (American actress)
- Kyra Sundance (American dog trainer)
- Kyra Davis (American novelist)
Kyras in popular culture:
- Kyra Blaine (television, “Castle”)
- Kyra Hart (television, “Reba”)
- Kyra (television, Game of Thrones)
- Kyra (television, “Charmed)
- Kyra (television, “Black-ish”)