Meg is a short name that packs in a big origin story. While Meg Ryan is responsible for making this the name everyone associates with “America's sweetheart,” Meg is actually a Greek name that means “pearl.” Keep reading to find out why parents have a million reasons to choose Meg.
Meaning of the name Meg:
Origin of the name Meg:
Greek. Meg is derived from the Greek name of Margaritēs. This is an ancient name that describes the beauty of a pearl!
Symbolism of the name Meg:
Meg symbolizes the divine beauty and strength of an ocean pearl.
Style of the name Meg:
Gender of the name Meg:
Meg is considered a traditionally Greek name for a woman.
Pronunciation of the name Meg
Syllables in the name Meg:
Emotion evoked from the name Meg:
The name Meg comes across as sweet and sensible.
Alternative spellings for the name Meg:
Nicknames for the name Meg:
Popularity of the name Meg:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Meg is a “classic” name that made the list of the 1,000 most popular names every year from 1956 to 1966.
Related names for the name Meg:
Maegan, Megan, Margery.
Great middle names for Meg and their meanings:
- Amara (bitter)
- Chiara (dark haired)
- Clementine (citrus fruit)
- Domino (lord, master)
- Florentine (the bloomy one)
- Harper (someone who plays the harp)
- Irene (peace)
- Jolie (pretty, merry)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Rebecca (to tie)
Famous people with the name Meg:
- Meg Cabot (best-selling author of “The Princess Diaries”)
- Meg Ryan (actress)
- Meg White (musician from The White Stripes)
Megs in movies/pop culture:
- Meg Griffin (character from “Family Guy”)
- Meg Masters (character from “Supernatural”)
- Meg March (character from “Little Women”)
- Meg Murry (character from “A Wrinkle in Time”)