Nery is a terrific baby name that is popular among boys and girls. With its refreshing simplicity, Nery is a given name in countries as diverse as Mexico, Israel, and Wales. Nery is the name of the titular protagonist of Nery y Su Perrito Baby, and Nery Turner is a main character in The Sims 2. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Nery:
Hebrew: Light, candle, lamp
Welsh: Lord, lady, chief
Origin of the name Nery:
Nery is an attractive name with two possible origins. The first origin is as an alternative spelling of the Hebrew name Neri. This name derives from the Hebrew element נֵרִי and means “candle,” “light,” or “lamp.” Alternatively, some experts believe that Nery is the short form of the Welsh name Nerys. This name derives from the Middle Welsh element ner (meaning “lord” in reference to men and “lady” when referring to women). This element relates closely to the current Welsh word nêr (meaning “hero” or “chief”).
Symbolism of the name Nery:
Nery is the diminutive of Nerys (meaning “lord” or “lady”) or an alternative spelling of Neri (meaning “candle” or “lamp”). In the Hebrew Bible, candles or lamps are common metaphors for God's providence. One can find a great example in Psalm 18:28: “For You will light my lamp (neri); the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.” The symbol for Nery is the candlestick or lamp stand.
Style of the name Nery:
Gender of the name Nery:
Nery is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Nery:
Number of syllables in the name Nery:
Emotion evoked from the name Nery:
The name Nery evokes feelings of insight and enlightenment.
Alternative spellings for the name Nery:
Nicknames for the name Nery:
Popularity of the name Nery:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Nery was the 5,394th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Nery:
Great middle names for Nery and their meanings:
- Alvin (elf friend, noble friend)
- Armand (army man)
- Byron (barn, cowshed)
- Christopher (bearer of Christ)
- Delmar (from the sea)
- Ernesto (serious, determined, zealous)
- Fidel (faithful)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Odon (wealthy protector)
- Rayyan (luxuriant)
- Teagan (poet)
- Vidal (life, vitality)
Famous people with the name Nery:
- Nery Antonio Brenes Cárdenas (track athlete)
- Nery Alberto Castillo Confalonieri (footballer)
- Nery Santos Gómez (writer)
- Nery Barnet Kircher (human rights activist)
- Nery Gabriel Lemus (visual artist)
- Nery Francisco Leyes (footballer)
- Nery Mantey Niangkouara (swimmer)
- Nery Alberto Pumpido (football coach)
- Nery Francisco Soto Torres (journalist)
- Nery Antonio Saguilán Vargas (boxer)
Nery in popular culture:
- Nery (titular protagonist of Nery y Su Perrito Baby)
- Nery (product line from shoe manufacturer Spring Step)
- Nery Turner (character in The Sims 2)