Alexandria is a regal and colorful baby name. Reminiscent of key historical figures like Alexander the Great, Alexandria shares its name with notable cities in Egypt and the United States. Alexandria DeWitt was a character on the sitcom 227, and Alexandria Dunphy character on Modern Family. Keep reading to learn more about this dynamic baby name.
Meaning of the name Alexandria:
Greek: Defender of men
Origin of the name Alexandria:
Alexandria is a feminine variation of the name Alexander. This name combined the Greek words alexo (meaning “to defend, help”) and aner (meaning “man”) to produce Alexandros. In the ancient world, the name Alexandria rose prominently as Alexander the Great founded or renamed cities while expanding his empire. The most well-known is Alexandria, Egypt. In the modern era, an example of a city that bears the name is Alexandria, Virginia.
Symbolism of the name Alexandria:
Alexandria first came to prominence as a namesake city for Alexander the Great. The symbol for Alexandria is the Macedonian star.
Style of the name Alexandria:
Gender of the name Alexandria:
Alexandria is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Alexandria:
Number of syllables in the name Alexandria:
Emotion evoked from the name Alexandria:
The name Alexandria evokes feelings of authority and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Alexandria:
Nicknames for the name Alexandria:
Popularity of the name Alexandria:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Alexandria was the 320th most popular baby girl name in 2020. Alexandria ranked within the top 300 baby girl names from 2010-2019.
Related names for the name Alexandria:
Great middle names for Alexandria and their meanings:
- Claire (clear, bright, famous)
- Brooke (freshwater stream)
- Isolde (fair lady, ice ruler)
- Lauren (laurel plant)
- Opal (iridescent gemstone, jewel)
- Pax (peace)
- Perrine (rock)
- Renee (reborn, born again)
- Robin (bright fame, bird)
- Sage (wise one)
Famous people with the name Alexandria:
- Alexandria “Alex” Benoit (actress)
- Alexandria Zahra “Lexi” Bowie (daughter of David Bowie)
- Alexandria von Bromssen (fashion designer)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (politician)
- Alexandria “Lexi” Karlsen (actress)
- Alexandria Nichole Mills (pageant winner)
- Alexandria “Allie” Quigley (basketball player)
- Alexandria “Zsa Zsa” Riordan (figure skater)
- Alexandria Constantinova Szeman (writer)
- Alexandria Town (wrestler)
Alexandria in popular culture:
- Alexandria “Alex” Dunphy (character on Modern Family)
- Alexandria “Alex” St. John (character in the Vampire Diaries)
- Alexandria Hypatia (character in Dishonored 2 video game)