Cheyenne is trendy unisex baby name. Popular as a given name since the mid-century, Cheyenne has a lively place in popular culture. Cheyenne O'Malley is a character in the Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls book series, and “Beaches of Cheyenne” is a song by Garth Brooks. Keep reading to learn more about this fashionable baby name.
Meaning of the name Cheyenne:
Sioux: red speaker, foreign tongue
Origin of the name Cheyenne:
Cheyenne derives from the Sioux language word Šahíyena. Although the precise definition is unclear, most experts believe that Šahíyena descends from the Dakota expression Šahíya (meaning “red speaker” or “foreign tongue”).
Symbolism of the name Cheyenne:
Cheyenne is a Dakota exonym for the Great Plains Native American tribe. The symbol for Cheyenne is the morning star.
Style of the name Cheyenne:
Gender of the name Cheyenne:
Cheyenne is a name that is used for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Cheyenne:
Number of syllables in the name Cheyenne:
Emotion evoked from the name Cheyenne:
The name Cheyenne evokes feelings of confidence and serenity.
Alternative spellings for the name Cheyenne:
Nicknames for the name Cheyenne:
Popularity of the name Cheyenne:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Cheyenne was the 581st most popular baby girl name in 2020. Cheyenne ranked among the top 100 baby names for girls from 1994-2000. The name was also among the top 1,000 baby names for boys during the 1950s and 1990s.
Related names for the name Cheyenne:
Great middle names for Cheyenne and their meanings:
- Amelia (work)
- Beatrice (blessed)
- Beau (beautiful, handsome)
- Clara (bright, clear)
- Dakota (friend, ally)
- Genevieve (tribal woman, family, kin)
- McKay (fire)
- Philip (friend of horses)
- Skye (cloud, sky)
- Whitney (white island)
Famous people with the name Cheyenne:
- Cheyenne Brando (model and daughter of Marlon Brando)
- Cheyenne Campbell (rugby player)
- Cheyenne “Chey” Dunkley (footballer)
- Cheyenne Renee Haynes (actress)
- Cheyenne David Jackson (actor)
- Cheyenne Nichole Kimball (singer)
- Cheyenne Marie Mize (folk music songwriter)
- Cheyenne Parker (basketball player)
- Cheyenne Tozzi (model)
- Cheyenne Nicole Woods (model)
Cheyenne in popular culture:
- Cheyenne Tyler Lee (character on Superstore)
- Cheyenne Montgomery (character on Reba)
- Cheyenne Mortenson (character on Cyberbully)