Kerry is a distinguished baby name for both boys and girls. As the namesake of successful actors and athletes, Kerry pays tribute to Irish legacy and culture using just five simple letters. Kerry Hennessy is a popular character in 8 Simple Rules, and Kerry Weaver was also a main character on E.R.. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Kerry:
Irish: Dark, dark-haired
Origin of the name Kerry:
Kerry derives from the Irish name Ciarraí (meaning “black” or “dark-haired”).
Symbolism of the name Kerry:
Kerry originates from the Irish word Ciarraí and means “dark.” Ciarraí was also the original name of the county now known as Kerry (in the Irish province of Munster). The name ultimately derives from the Cíarraige, a popular group recorded in the early history of Ireland. The symbol of the Cíarraige ethnic group is the sunburst flag.
Style of the name Kerry:
Gender of the name Kerry:
Kerry is a spry name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Kerry:
Number of syllables in the name Kerry:
Emotion evoked from the name Kerry:
The name Kerry evokes feelings of companionship and courage.
Alternative spellings for the name Kerry:
Nicknames for the name Kerry:
Popularity of the name Kerry:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Kerry was the 772nd most popular baby name for girls in 1997. Kerry was the 972nd most popular baby name for boys in 2004.
Related names for the name Kerry:
Great middle names for Kerry and their meanings:
- Alayne (bright, shining light, sun ray)
- Brody (broad island, deep valley)
- Danika (morning star)
- Deborah (bee)
- Gareth (gentleness)
- Geraldine (spear ruler)
- Jerusha (possession)
- Letitia (joy, happiness)
- Marshall (constable, enforcer, horse steward)
- Meghan (pearl)
- Talia (dew of heaven, lamb, bloom)
- Wendell (traveler, wanderer, sojourner)
Famous people with the name Kerry:
- Kerry Gene Adkisson (wrestler)
- Kerry Lynne Bishé (actress)
- Kerry Michael Collins (football player)
- Kerry Lauren Fox (actress)
- Kerry Jayne Elizabeth Katona (media personality)
- Kerry Allen Livgren (rock musician)
- Kerry Dennis O'Brien (Olympic track athlete)
- Kerry Francis Bullmore Packer (media mogul)
- Kerry Marisa Washington (actress)
- Kerry Lee Wood (baseball player)
Kerry in popular culture:
- Kerry Hennessy (character in 8 Simple Rules)
- Kerry Weaver (main character on E.R.)