Roxy is a charming and charismatic given name. Historically used as a nickname for both boys and girls, Roxy has risen through the ranks of modern popular culture. Roxy Carmichael is the main character of the movie Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael, and Roxy Hunter is the titular protagonist of Nickelodeon's Roxy Hunter film franchise. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Roxy:
German: Rest, rock
Origin of the name Roxy:
Roxy is the short form of the name Roxana or Roxanne. This name derives from the Greek word Roxanē (a translation of the Persian word Roschana). The original Persian word means “dawn” or “daybreak.” And as a male name, Rocky derives from the given names Rocco, Rocque, or Rocky. Rocco originates from the German element hrok (meaning “rest”). Rocky and Rocque both derive from the Germanic element rücken and referred to a person who resided near a rocky crag or outcrop.
Symbolism of the name Roxy:
Roxy originates from the Persian word for “dawn.” The ancient Avestan or Persian representation of dawn is the expansive horizon at sunrise.
Style of the name Roxy:
Gender of the name Roxy:
Roxy is a name that can be used for both boys and girls, though it's more commonly used for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Roxy:
Number of syllables in the name Roxy:
Emotion evoked from the name Roxy:
The name Roxy evokes feelings of rejoicing and renewal.
Alternative spellings for the name Roxy:
Nicknames for the name Roxy:
Popularity of the name Roxy:
Roxy is a gender-neutral baby name. It is the short form of the baby girl names Roxanne and Roxana. Roxy is also the short form of boy names Rocco, Rocque, and Rocky. According to the Social Security Administration index, Rocco was the 492nd most popular baby name for boys, and Rocky was the 860th most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Roxana ranked among the top 1,000 baby name for girls from the 1980s through the 2000s, and Roxanne was among the top 1,000 baby names for girls during the 2010s.
Related names for the name Roxy:
Great middle names for Roxy and their meanings:
- Arabel (prayerful)
- Bernard (brave bear)
- Carla (free man, warrior, petite)
- Corinne (maiden)
- Dean (valley)
- Finnegan (fair)
- Padma (lotus blossom)
- Paloma (dove)
- Susannah (lily)
- Yasmin (jasmine flower)
Famous people with the name Roxy:
- Roxy Francis Beaudro (ice hockey player)
- Roxy Samuel Bernstein (sportscaster)
- Roxy Ann Caplin (inventor)
- Roxy Elise Davis (businesswoman)
- Roxy Vestigas Dorlas (footballer)
- Roxy Alfred Lawson (baseball player)
- Roxy Paine (artist)
- Roxy Roxborough (columnist)
- Roxy Lionel Rothafel (theater impresario)
- Roxy Shahidi (actress)
Roxy in popular culture:
- Roxy Carmichael (titular protagonist of the film Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael)
- Roxy Hunter (titular protagonist of Nickelodeon's Roxy Hunter film franchise)
- Roxy Lizette Mitchell (character in the British soap opera EastEnders)
- Roxy Miller (character in the Australian soap opera Home & Away)
- Roxy Washington (character in the X-Men franchise)