Abbygail is a unique modern baby name for girls. Popular among actresses, Abbygail highlights the favorite diminutives of the name. Abbygail is the name of a central character in the Casey Duncan series, and Abbygail Angel was also a character in the Jesse's Wife. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Abbygail:
Hebrew: My father is joy
Origin of the name Abbygail:
Abbygail is an alternative spelling of Abigail. It originated as the English version of the Hebrew name Avigayil. The name combined the Hebrew elements av (meaning “abba” or “father”) and gil meaning “joy.” A less common etymology is that Abbygail is a compound name that fuses the shorter names Abby and Gale. Abby derives from the Old Saxon word Æþþe (meaning “sweet refuge”). Gale originates from the Old English word gaile (meaning “jovial”). It can also derive from the Middle English word gale (meaning “powerful wind”) or the Greek name Galênê (meaning “tranquil”).
Symbolism of the name Abbygail:
Abbygail is an alternative spelling of Abigail. According to the Old Testament, Abigail was an intelligent and beautiful shepherdess who wisely prevented King David from committing a crime. The symbol of Abigail was the shepherd.
Style of the name Abbygail:
Gender of the name Abbygail:
Abbygail is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Abbygail:
Number of syllables in the name Abbygail:
Emotion evoked from the name Abbygail:
The name Abbygail evokes feelings of happiness and hope.
Alternative spellings for the name Abbygail:
Nicknames for the name Abbygail:
Popularity of the name Abbygail:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Abbygail was the 4,041st most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Abbygail:
Great middle names for Abbygail and their meanings:
- Aspen (poplar tree)
- Brin (high hill, noble, juniper)
- Eloise (healthy, wise)
- Gina (queen)
- Inés (chaste, pure, virtuous)
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Kelsey (ship's victory, fierce island)
- Luna (moon)
- Pia (pious, reverent, devout)
- Rhea (flowing stream)
- Selah (musical pause, praise, peaceful contemplation)
- Tam (twin, honesty, innocence, heart)
Famous people with the name Abbygail:
- Abbygail Caroline (singer and social media personality)
- Abbygail Deguzman (actress)
- Abbygail Hernandez (television producer)
- Abbygail Johnson (actress)
- Abbygail Martinez (television personality)
- Abbygail Reyes (business executive)
- Abbygail Saenz (actress)
- Abbygail Schalow (television personality and twin sister of Annabelle Schalow)
- Abbygail Wheeler (actress)
Abbygail in popular culture:
- Abbygail (character in the Casey Duncan series by Kelley Armstrong)
- Abbygail Angel (character in Jesse's Wife by Annamaria Proctor)