Josias is a stunning baby name for boys. Blending elements of ancient and medieval cultures, this given name is a unique spelling option that still produces accessible nicknames. Josias is the titular protagonist of the children's story Josias Hold the Book, and Josias the Faithful is a popular character in Warhammer. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Josias:
Hebrew: God has healed
Origin of the name Josias:
Josias is the Latin translation of the Hebrew name Josiah. This name derives from the Hebrew phrase Yoshiyahu (meaning “God supports” or “God heals”).
Symbolism of the name Josias:
Josias is the Latin variation of the name Josiah. According to the Old Testament, Josiah was a king of Judah famous for his religious reforms. During his reign, Josiah rebuilt the Temple of Solomon and reinstated Mosaic law. The symbol of Josiah is the signet ring of Jerusalem.
Style of the name Josias:
Gender of the name Josias:
Josias is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Josias:
Number of syllables in the name Josias:
Emotion evoked from the name Josias:
The name Josias evokes feelings of revolution and renaissance.
Alternative spellings for the name Josias:
Nicknames for the name Josias:
Popularity of the name Josias:
Josias is the Old Latin version of the name Josiah. According to the Social Security Administration index, Josiah was the 50th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Josias:
Great middle names for Josias and their meanings:
- Austin (great, magnificent, exalted)
- Brooks (freshwater streams)
- Chaim (life)
- Dean (chief, official, valley)
- Ludwig (famous warrior)
- Malachi (messenger of God)
- Myles (soldier)
- Nathan (God has given)
- Ronan (little seal)
- Tucker (tailor, fuller, heart)
- Wyatt (brave in battle)
Famous people with the name Josias:
- Josias Manzanillo Adams (baseball player)
- Josias Braun-Blanquet (botanist)
- Josias Paulo Cardoso (footballer)
- Josias Philip Hoffman (politician)
- Josias Thomas Joesler (architect)
- Josias Leslie Porter (Presbyterian minister)
- Josias Priest (choreographer)
- Josias Cornelis Rappard (artist)
- Josias Simmler (theologian)
- JosiasWilhelm (heir apparent to the throne of Waldeck and Pyrmont)
Josias in popular culture:
- Josias (protagonist of Josias Hold the Book by Jennifer Riesmeyer Elvgren)
- Josias the Faithful (character in Warhammer)