The name Juliette became popularized through Shakespeare in his play, “Romeo and Juliet.” The name has been around even from before the days that Shakespeare wrote his play, however, going back to classical Latin culture. It is the female form of the name Julius, and it is meant to feel young and free.
Meaning of the name Juliette:
Latin: youthful, Jove's child, dedicated to Jove
French: young, downy, youthful, little Julia
Origin of the name Juliette:
Juliette is a name that comes from a French surname which was originally Julie. The name Julie, however, comes from the Latin word of Julius, which was primarily used as a first name. This name Julius literally means “son of Jove.” Some even say that Juliette is the female version of the Latin name Julius as well.
Symbolism of the name Juliette:
The name Juliette represents someone who is a child of someone name Jove or who a young Julie. With these facts in mind, it makes sense that the meaning of the name is youthful and young. Downy-haired also plays into this and is not meant to be an insult. Children typically have fairer hair, so this is the representation that is given.
Style of the name Juliette:
The baby name Juliette is traditional to French families.
Gender of the name Juliette:
The baby name Juliette is used for females.
Pronunciation of the name Juliette:
Number of syllables in the name Juliette:
There are three syllables in the baby name Juliette.
Emotion evoked from the name Juliette:
Being as that the meaning is “youthful”, the name Juliette has fun emotions attached to it. It feels lighthearted, carefree, and even a slight bit mischievous.
Alternative spellings for the name Juliette:
Nicknames for the name Juliette:
Popularity of the name Juliette:
Though the name Juliette has been on the Social Security Popularity Index since the beginning, it had not even made the top 200 list until the year 2016 when it ranked at number 199. It seems to be gaining in popularity in modern times, however, as in 2020, the name ranked at number 180.
Related names for the name Juliette:
Great middle names for Juliette and their meanings:
- Ava (life, bird, serpent)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Aubrey (king of the elves)
- Pearl (smooth, round bead)
- Claudia (lame)
- Lane (a small roadway or path)
- Lauren (sweet of honor, wisdom)
- Madeline (of Magdala)
- Naomi (pleasantness)
Famous people with the name Juliette:
- Juliette Porter (reality star, “Siesta Key”)
- Juliette Goglia (actress, “Fired Up!”)
- Juliette Binoche (actress, “The English Patient”)
- Juliette Angelo (actress, “Malibu Country”)
- Juliette Perkins (professional model)
- Juliette Pardau (Venezuelan actress, “Pa' Quererte”)
- Juliette Martinez (professional dancer)
Juliettes in popular culture:
- Juliette Silverton (character in “Grimm”)
- Juliette Ferrars (character in “Shatter Me”)
- Juliette Paxton (character in “Bend It like Beckham”)
- Juliette Waybourne (character in “Higher Ground”)