Mariana is a delightful and lyrical baby girl name. Ancient in origin, the name is now reminiscent of romance in countries like Brazil, Portugal, and Mexico. With its serenading quality and cascading use of vowels, Mariana is a lovely alternative to similar names like Marina and Marion. The name Mariana also has a notable place in literature in popular culture. Mariana was a pivotal character in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure, and Alfred Lord Tennyson also wrote a poem in honor of the name. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the Name Mariana
Mariana was the feminine form of the Roman name Marianus. The name meant “devoted to Mars” or “warlike.” The Roman name could have also derived from Latin root mas or maris. After the rise of Christianity in medieval Europe, Mariana became associated with Maria (which derived from the Latin translation stella maris and meant “star of the sea”).
Mariana derives from an ancient Roman name that meant “devoted to Mars.” The symbol of the god Mars is the shield. In later centuries, Mariana was also a version of the name Maria. Symbols for Maria include the rosa mystica and the lily.
Nicknames for Mariana
The name Mariana evokes feelings of sweetness and serenity. A common name for Mariana is often “Mary”, but feel free to come up with a nickname that best suits the Mariana in your life. To get you started, we compiled a list of fun nicknames for inspiration:
Mariana Name Details
Gender: Mariana is traditionally known to be a girls name.
Alternative Spelling for Mariana
Mariana Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration index, Mariana was the 276th most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Mariana has ranked among the top 300 baby girl names since 2017.
Related Names for Mariana
Great Middle Names for Mariana and Their Meanings
- Angel (heavenly messenger)
- Clio (glory)
- Consuela (comforter)
- Itzel (rainbow lady)
- Lucia (light)
- Manuela (God is with us)
- Natalie (Christmas)
- Shea (admirable)
- Solange (solemn, dignified, angel of the sun)
- Zara (radiance, blooming flower, princess)
Famous People Named Mariana
- Mariana Pellegrino Barreto (daughter of Brazilian director Fábio Barreto)
- Mariana Nery Brochado (Brazilian swimmer)
- Mariana Isabel Delgado (daughter of baseball player Carlos Delgado)
- Mariana Duque Mariño (tennis player)
- Mariana Oliveira Morales (daughter of Esai Morales)
- Mariana Popova (singer)
- Mariana Federica Wolfner (biologist)
- Mariana Paola Vicente (pageant winner)
Mariana in Popular Culture
- Mariana (pivotal character in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure)
- Mariana Gutierrez (character on The Fosters)
- Mariana Islands (archipelago of volcanic islands in the Pacific Ocean)
- Mariana Trench (deepest part of the ocean)