Nicky is an informal baby name for boys or girls. It began as a nickname for Nicole or Nicholas. As of 2021, Nicky is a top 8,700 option at rank 8,687.
Meaning of the name Nicky:
Greek: victory of the people
Origin of the name Nicky:
Nicky is a unisex baby name that began as a diminutive for Nicholas or Nicole. Nicholas comes from the old Greek name Nikolaos, which comes from the Greek words “nike” and “laos.” Nicole is the feminine variation of Nicholas, but it only became popular in the twentieth century. Nicky only became a standalone name in the latter half of that same century.
Symbolism of the name Nicky:
The baby name Nicky has the same definitions as Nicholas and Nicole. Both of these latter options go back to the ancient Greek option Nikolaos. Nikolaos comes from the Greek words “nike” and “laos.” “Nike” translates to “victory,” and “laos” means “people.”
Style of the name Nicky:
Gender of the name Nicky:
Nicky is an informal unisex name for boys or girls.
Pronunciation of the name Nicky:
Number of syllables in the name Nicky:
Emotion evoked from the name Nicky:
Nicky is an informal and simple baby name. It is wholesome and youthful.
Alternative spellings for the name Nicky:
Nicknames for the name Nicky:
Popularity of the name Nicky:
Nicky first became a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1939 at rank 914. It remained on the top 1,000 list until 1980 at number 952. Nicky ranked highest in 1959 at 471. As of 2021, Nicky is a top 8,700 option at rank 8,687.
Related names for the name Nicky:
Great middle names for Nicky and their meanings:
- Alvin (elf, magical being, friend)
- Paul (small, humble)
- Wilmer (strong desire)
- Nelson (son of Nell)
- Keona (God's gracious gift)
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Holland (land on the ridge)
- Marie (star of the sea)
Famous people with the name Nicky:
- Nicky Wire (bassist of Manic Street Preachers band)
- Nicky Romero (DJ, music producer)
- Nicky Jam (reggaeton singer)
- Nicky Mehta (singer from The Wailin' Jennys band)
- Nicky Whelan (actress, “Hall Pass”)
Nickys in popular culture:
- Nicky Little (character from “Pepper Ann”)
- Nicky (character from “Little Nicky”)
- Nicky (character from “Avenue Q”)
- Nicky Santoro (character from “Casino”)
- Nicky Machiavelli (character from “A Bronx Tale”)