Clinton is a distinguished baby name for boys. Reminiscent of peerage and presidents, this name is also highly popular among actors and athletes. Clinton “Hawkeye” Barton is the name of a central character in the Marvel Comics universe, and Clinton Hill is the name of a historic neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Clinton:
Old English: Headland settlement, fenced settlement, hilltop town
Celtic: Bright stream settlement
Origin of the name Clinton:
Clinton originated as a place name that later became a surname. This place name was a settlement located on the banks of the River Glyme. The name Glyme derives from a Celtic word from the Brythonic language branch (instead of the typical Gaelic) and meant “bright stream.” Therefore, many etymologists believe that the original Celtic inhabitants named the town Glympton. Due to a phenomenon known as morphology, the name eventually evolved into Clinton. Alternatively, some etymologists believe that the name simply derives from the Middle English elements clint (meaning “cliff,” “hilltop,” or “slope”) and tūn (meaning “settlement,” “enclosure,” or “town”).
Symbolism of the name Clinton:
Clinton is an English surname that later became a given name. The first bearer of the surname was Geoffrey de Clinton. As the chamberlain and treasurer of Henry I (son of William the Conqueror), Geoffrey de Clinton received the surname in 1130. This surname indicated that Geoffrey was now the landlord of Glympton and its surrounding territories. The symbol and primary source of revenue for Glympton was the town watermill.
Style of the name Clinton:
Gender of the name Clinton:
Clinton is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Clinton:
Number of syllables in the name Clinton:
Emotion evoked from the name Clinton:
The name Clinton evokes feelings of competence and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Clinton:
Nicknames for the name Clinton:
Popularity of the name Clinton:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Clinton was the 915th most popular baby name for boys in 2014.
Related names for the name Clinton:
Great middle names for Clinton and their meanings:
- Alford (old river ford, alder tree crossing)
- Bruce (brushwood thicket, willow grove, woodland)
- Damon (tame, subdue, conquer)
- Fitzgerald (son of the spear ruler)
- Nicholas (victory of the people)
- Orlando (famous land, renowned, revered)
- Payne (rustic countryman, rural villager)
- Reginald (king)
- Ronan (little seal)
- Ryan (little king)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Wesley (west meadow)
Famous people with the name Clinton:
- Clinton Robert Avery (racing cyclist)
- Clinton Joseph Davisson (physicist)
- Clinton Drew Dempsey (soccer player)
- Clinton “Clint” Eastwood (actor)
- Clinton “Clint” Howard (brother of director Ron Howard)
- Clinton Merrick Hurdle (baseball manager)
- Clinton Darryl Mansell (musician)
- Clinton James McKay (cricketer)
- Clinton Hubert Morrison (footballer)
- Clinton Briggs Ripley (architect)
Clinton in popular culture:
- Clinton “Hawkeye” Barton (character in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Clinton Hill (neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York)