Ruben is a Hebrew baby boy’s name that means “behond, a son”. Ruben may have started to slip in popularity in the last decade but the name has proven to have staying power having rarely dropped below #300 on the baby name list.
Meaning of the name Ruben:
Hebrew: behold, a son
Origin of the name Ruben:
Ruben is the Dutch, Scandinavian, French and Armenian spelling of the Hebrew name Reuben, meaning “behold, a son”.
Symbolism of the name Ruben:
Ruben is another name for the pineapple lily flower. The pineapple lily is not a type a lily but a cone shaped collection of tiny violet colored flowers.
Style of the name Ruben:
Gender of the name Ruben:
Ruben is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ruben:
RUY-bən (Dutch), ROO-behn (English, Swedish), RUY-BEHN (French), roo-BEHN (Armenian)
Number of syllables in the name Ruben:
Emotion evoked from the name Ruben:
Ruben evokes feelings of strength and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Ruben:
Nicknames for the name Ruben:
Popularity of the name Ruben:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ruben is a popular baby boy’s name that has been in the top 1000 names since 1900. Ruben remained steadily popular throughout the 20th century but popularity began to fall after 2013.
Related names for the name Ruben:
Great middle names for the name Ruben and their meanings:
- Otto (wealthy)
- Tobias (God is good)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Asher (fortunate, happy one)
- Mateo (gift of God)
- Cash (hollow)
- Graham (gravelly homestead)
- Titus (title of honor)
Famous people with the name Ruben:
- Ruben Studdard (American R&B singer)
- Ruben Bailey aka Big Rube (American rapper)
- Ruben Blades (Panamanian salsa singer and actor)
- Ruben Santiago Hudson (American actor)
- Ruben Wiki (New Zealand rugby player)
Ruben in popular culture:
- Ruben Robinson (television, “Southland”)
- Ruben “Ruvik” Victoriano (video game, “The Evil Within”)
- Ruben (television, “Scooby-doo” series)
- Ruben (video game, “Fire Emblem” series)