Kids Recipes U
Upside Down Umbrella Cakes
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 16-oz. can of pineapple slices
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
12 paper umbrellas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Evenly divide melted butter into a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Drain pineapple slices, saving one cup of drained syrup. Put pineapple slices into the melted butter on the bottom of each muffin section.
3. Place crumbled brown sugar on top of each pineapple slice.
4. In a bowl, mix together sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla. Beat together.
5. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add this mixture to the first bowl of ingredients. Stir well, while adding one cup of the extra pineapple juice.
6. Spread this mixture over the pineapple slices in the muffin tin.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool for five to ten minutes.
8. Flip upside down on serving plate, and add a colorful paper umbrella to each.