Tamara originated in historical Russia. It comes from the Biblical name Tamar, which has more of a negative reputation. In modern times in America, Tamara is only a top 3,500 option for girls.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Tamara:
Tamara is the Russian version of the name Tamar. Tamar is an ancient Hebrew title that dates back to Old Testament times. Tamar was the daughter-in-law of Judah and the name of the daughter of King David. Celebrities like Tamara Karsavina and Tamara Geva helped to bring the title to the English-speaking world. Tamara grew in popularity in America in the mid-twentieth century. The name means “date palm”.
Symbolism of the Name Tamara:
Tamara has the same meaning as Tamar. Tamar translates to “date palm” in Hebrew. Tamara offers a more sensual feeling than the original, giving it a more international feel.
Nicknames for the Name Tamara:
We have an extensive list of the best nicknames for Tamara right here. Take a careful look at each option, and pick the one that feels best for your child:
Style of the Name Tamara:
Gender of the Name Tamara:
Tamara is a mature name for girls.
Pronunciation of the Name Tamara:
tu-MAR-ruh, TA-ma-ra, tuh-MAR-uh, or TAM-uh-ruh
Number of Syllables in the Name Tamara:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Tamara:
Tamara is a mature and wholesome baby name. It is formal and refined.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Tamara:
Popularity of the Name Tamara:
Tamara was first a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1939 at rank 876, according to the Social Security Administration. It stayed on the top 1,000 list until 2009 at number 908. Tamara was a top 100 option from 1966 to 1977, ranking highest in 1974 at rank 64. As of 2021, Tamara is number 3,438 for girls.
Related Names for the Name Tamara:
Great Middle Names for Tamara and Their Meanings:
- Giselle (pledge, hostage)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Edith (rich, happy, prosperous in war)
- Noelle (Christmas day, the Lord's birthday)
- Jocelyn (happy, joyful)
- Valerie (strong, brave, fierce)
- Raquel (innocent, ewe)
- Inez (pure, holy, chaste)
Famous People with the Name Tamara:
- Tamara the Great (twelfth-century queen of Georgia)
- Tamara Braun (actress, “Abduction of Angie”)
- Tamara Feldman (actress, “Alyce Kills”)
- Tamara de Lempicka (artist)
- Tamara Karsavina (ballerina)
- Tamara McKinney (skier)
- Tamara Baldwin (daughter of John Paul Jones)
- Tamara Taylor (actress, “Bones”)
Tamaras in Popular Culture:
- Tamara Drewe (title character in “Tamara Drewe” comic strip)
- Tamara Kaplan (character from “Awkward”)
- Tamara Donner (character from “The Sims 3”)
- Tamara Swanson (character from “Parks and Recreation”)
- Tamara Hatcher (character from “Fudge” series by Judy Blume)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Volodymyr TVERDOKHLIB/Shutterstock.com.