Veda is a girl’s baby name that is of Sanskrit, Hungarian, and Turkish origin. It means “knowledge” or “leave, farewell”. Veda has never topped popularity charts but it is a unique, feminine name worth a second look. Veda is comparable to the Greek name Sophia that also means “wisdom”.
Meaning of the name Veda:
Turkish: leave, farewell, valedictory
Origin of the name Veda:
Veda is a girl’s name of Sanskrit, Hungarian, and Turkish origin. In Sanskrit and Hungarian Veda means “knowledge”. In Turkish Veda means “leave, farewell, valedictory”.
Symbolism of the name Veda:
A name meaning knowledge cannot help but bring to mind images of books and grand libraries.
Style of the name Veda:
Gender of the name Veda:
Veda is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Veda:
Number of syllables in the name Veda:
Emotion evoked from the name Veda:
Veda evokes feelings of wisdom and warmth.
Alternative spellings for the name Veda:
Vayda, Vada, Vaeda
Nicknames for the name Veda:
Popularity of the name Veda:
According to the Social Security Administration, Veda is a vintage baby girl’s name that was popular in the early 20th century. The name dropped from the top 1000 names in 1960 but returned in 2015.
Related names for the name Veda:
Great middle names for the name Veda and their meanings:
- Sloane (raider)
- Delphine (dolphin)
- Elodie (foreign riches)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Cordelia (heart, daughter of the sea)
- Simone (hearkening)
- Beatrix (she who brings happiness)
- Imogen (maiden)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Caroline (free man)
- Amelia (work)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Rose (the flower)
Famous people with the name Veda:
- Veda Ann Borg (American actress)
- Veda Sastry (Indian actress)
- Veda Brown (American R&B singer)
- Veda Hille (Canadian singer-songwriter)
- Veda Krishnamurthy (Indian cricketer)
Vedas in popular culture:
- Veda Pierce (film, “Mildred Pierce”)
- Veda (television, “Mobile Suit Gundam 00”)
- Veda (culture, type of Northern Irish bread)
- Veda (culture, indie rock band)