Janey is a cute diminutive of the baby name Jane. It has a more modern and upbeat feel than the latter option. Janey is far less popular than Jane though, as it is only on the top 7,000 list.
Meaning and Origin of the name Janey:
Janey is an English girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning “God is gracious.”
Janey began as a nickname for the baby name Jane. Jane is the Medieval version of Jehanne, an Old French title. Jehanne originated from the Latin name Iohannes, which is the feminine form of the Latin Iohannes. The Iohannes is derived from the Greek Iōannēs, and Iōannēs is derived from the Hebrew Yochanan, which means “God is gracious.” Jane was the most common feminine version of John in the 17th century, helping to create several nicknames like Janey.
Symbolism of the name Janey:
Janey has the same meaning as Jane, “God is gracious.” Iohannes and Ioannes date back to the ancient Hebrew title Yochanan. Yochanan comes from the words “yo” and “chanan.” “Yo” means “God,” and “chanan” translates to “to be gracious.”
Nicknames for the name Janey:
Janey is an adorable name for girls. Even though Janey is a nickname, there are nicknames for this name. We created the list below to help you find a great nickname for your little girl.
Style of the name Janey:
Gender of the name Janey:
Janey is an informal name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Janey:
Number of syllables in the name Janey:
Emotion evoked from the name Janey:
Janey is a lighthearted and informal baby name. It is youthful and natural.
Alternative spellings for the name Janey:
Popularity of the name Janey:
Janey was first a top 1,000 baby name for girls in 1945 at rank 796. It stayed on the Social Security Popularity Index until 1953 at number 958. As of 2021, Janey is a top 7,000 name.
Related names for the name Janey:
Great middle names for Janey and their meanings:
- Camille (helper to the priest)
- Rosalyn (rose, tender, soft)
- Annalise (grace, oath of God)
- Monique (alone, advisor)
- Victoria (victory)
- Claire (clear, pure)
- Louise (famous warrior)
- Grace (God's grace)
Famous people with the name Janey:
- Janey Godley (comedian, writer)
- Janey Buchan (former prime minister in Scotland)
- Janey Lee Grace (singer)
- Janey Cutler (singer, reality TV star, “Britain's Got Talent”)
- Janey Lewin (romance novelist)
- Janey Canuck (pen name of Emily Murphy)
- Janey Ironside (style icon)
- Janey Callander (theater producer)
Janeys in popular culture:
- Janey Slater (character from “The Watchmen”)
- Janey Powell (character from “The Simpsons”)
- Janey Harper (character from “My Family”)
- Janey Briggs (character from “Not Another Teen Movie”)
- Janey (character from song called “Janey Don't You Lose Heart”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©elenavolf/Shutterstock.com.