Lilyan is a baby girl’s name of English and French origin that means “lily flower” and “pledged to God”. Lilyan is a variant spelling of Lilian and also a diminutive of the classic name Elizabeth. Lilyan is a vintage classic that was most popular between 1900 and 1920.
Meaning of the name Lilyan:
English, French: lily, pledged to God
Origin of the name Lilyan:
Lilyan is a baby girl’s name of English and French origin that means both “pledged to God” and “lily flower”. Lilyan is a variant spelling of Lilian and a diminutive of Elizabeth.
Symbolism of the name Lilyan:
Lilies are a flower with rich symbolic meaning. White lilies are a traditional funeral flower and associated with death. Lilies are also symbols of peace, love, devotion, purity, and fertility.
Style of the name Lilyan:
Gender of the name Lilyan:
Lilyan is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Lilyan:
LIL-ee-ən (English), LEE-LYAHN (French)
Number of syllables in the name Lilyan:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Lilyan:
Lilyan evokes feelings of beauty and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Lilyan:
Lilian, Lillian, Lillyan, Lilyanne, Liliane
Nicknames for the name Lilyan:
Popularity of the name Lilyan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lilyan is a popular baby girl’s name. Lilyan was in the top 1000 baby names list between 1900 and 1921. It peaked at #595 in 1915.
Related names for the name Lilyan:
Great middle names for the name Lilyan and their meanings:
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Elsie (pledged to God)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Beatrice (she who brings happiness, blessed)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Alice (noble)
- Caroline (free man)
Famous people with the name Lilyan:
- Lilyan Tashman (American film and vaudeville actress)
- Lilyan Vigo Ellis (American ballerina)
- Lilyan Chauvin (French-American actress)
- Lilyan Cole (American actress)
Lilyan in popular culture:
- Lilyan York (comics, “Who Made Me a Princess?”)
- Lilyan Snape (media, “TLWW”)
- Lilyan(literature, “Good Morning, Dearie” by Jerome Kern and Anne Caldwell)
- Lilyan Townsend (media, “This One World” By Night Camarilla)