Regan is a unisex baby name of English and Irish origin. Regan is a vintage spelling of the name and less popular in recent years than the variant spelling Reagan. Regan is one of the rare unisex names that has been unisex for centuries.
Meaning of the name Regan:
English, Irish: little king
Origin of the name Regan:
Regan is a unisex baby name of English and Irish origin. Regan is an Anglicized version of the Irish name Riagán and a variant spelling of Reagan. It comes from the Irish term “rí” meaning “king” and a diminutive suffix.
Symbolism of the name Regan:
Regan has a namesake in a type of orchid called the “Regan”. It is a pink and purple orchid. Orchids are symbolic of thoughtfulness, beauty, charm, and love.
Style of the name Regan:
Gender of the name Regan:
Regan is a unisex baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Regan:
Number of syllables in the name Regan:
Emotion evoked from the name Regan:
Regan evokes feelings of pride and success.
Alternative spellings for the name Regan:
Reagan, Riagan, Riegan, Ragyn, Reagyn
Nicknames for the name Regan:
Popularity of the name Regan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Regan is a popular unisex baby name. As a girl’s name, Regan was in the top 1000 baby names from 1973 to 2013. It peaked at #391 in 2001. As a boy’s name, it was in the top 1000 baby names from 1961 to 1979. It peaked at #824 in 1964.
Related names for the name Regan:
Great middle names for the name Regan and their meanings:
- Wesley (western meadow)
- Adam (son of the red earth)
- Greyson (son of the steward)
- Axel (father of peace)
- Landon (long hill)
- Nolan (champion)
- Maverick (independent, nonconformist)
- Joshua (the Lord is my salvation)
- Kinsley (king's meadow)
- Willow (the tree)
- Emilia (rival)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Grace (grace)
- Mila (gracious, dear)
- Madison (son of Matthew)
- Sofia (wisdom)
Famous people with the name Regan:
- Regan Tamanui (Australian painter)
- Regan Smith (American NASCAR driver)
- Regan Lamble (Australian Olympian)
- Regan Lauscher (Canadian Olympic luger)
- Regan West (Irish cricketer)
Regan in popular culture:
- Regan (literature, “King Lear” by William Shakespeare)
- Regan Theresa MacNeil (film, “The Exorcist”)
- Regan Black (television, “The Black Box”)
- Regan Capp (video games, “Sims” series)
- Regan Abbott (film, “A Quiet Place”)